From the Globe:
The Office of the Independent Police Review Director concluded constables Michael Adams, Babak Andalib-Goortani, David Donaldson, Geoffrey Fardell and Oliver Simpson used excessive force after tackling Mr. Nobody to the ground.
The report concludes that charges should be laid, too, but apparently because it's taken more than six months, the chief has to get permission from the Police Services Board. (Yeah, that's how criminal procedure works for everyone, isn't it.) From the Star:
Usually, charges must be laid within six months of the incident. In this case, the police services board would have to approve an extension before officers can be charged and a hearing ordered.A source told the Star Friday the board has granted Police Chief Bill Blair the right to lay charges.
Cue the whining from the poor misunderstood victims in all this:
"This is almost two years down the road getting to this and this has been very arduous for our members," Mike McCormack, head of the Toronto Police Association, told CBC News.
But we haven't even gotten to the fun part. You know, about the two assholes who kicked Adam Nobody in the face after he was arrested and cuffed.
Oh, and the story also talks about the investigator who identified these guys when hundreds of their buddies couldn't. According to the Globe account,
He went over videos of the incident frame-by-frame, cross-referencing them with photographs and police deployment sheets, which listed officers assigned to the area that day.In some cases, he picked out minor details to figure out who was who: Constable Adams, for instance, wore a distinctive carabiner on his belt; Constable Farrell wore long sleeves.
So in other words, this guy – acting Detective-Sergeant Chris Kirkpatrick – did some actual police work. When hundreds of other cops, who were there at the time and whom we pay to notice details like this, couldn't identify these guys. Please, Mike – tell us again how there's no Blue Wall.
They're gonna love Det.-Sgt. Kirkpatrick when he gets back to the office.
Well, I'm just bursting with confidence in the system now. I'm sure we'll see action on
- the cowardly sacks of shit who beat the crap out of Lacy MacAuley
- the scumbags who tore John Pruyn's prosthetic leg off
- the sadistic pigs who got their jollies kicking Sean Salvati around in the interrogation room and then parading him around naked, in front of a female cop
any day now!
- The door's this way, Chief Blair
- How's that "building relations" thing going, @TorontoPolice Tweeter guy?
- Retiring senior Toronto cop calls #G20 reaction overblown
- @LacyMacAuley and my namesake: This is where we juxtapose, redux | #G20
- The Sean Salvati #G20 video: Abu Ghraib comes to Toronto
- The Blue Wall is a threat to public safety